Tuesday, April 23, 2013

55 students hospitalised after inhaling poisonous gas

Teacher Asma Ahmad (right) accompanying some of the students at the hospital.

Fifty-five Form Four and Form Five students of SM Seri Pantai in Kuala Kedah were rushed to the Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah suspected of having inhaled poisonous gas.

"They are showing symptoms like difficulty in breathing and vomiting but all are in stable condition," the hospital's director Datuk Dr Juita Ghazalie said.

"All have been warded because we do not know the exact cause," he said.

Kedah Fire and Rescue assistant director of operations Nazri Zakaria said a Hazmat team was sent to the school at 9.38am.

"Their clothes have been taken for analysis because gas detectors failed to find any poisonous gas in the school area till 1pm but we found a chemical susbtance called acrolein which is mainly used in the manufacture of fertiliser," he said.

He added that gas could have been due to farming work in the vicinity of the school because no leaks were detected at a fertiliser factory nearby.

Kedah Education director Mansor Latt said classes at the school continued as normal after the Fire and Rescue Department gave the all clear signal.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Latest Malaysia News