Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Remain calm, Sabahans told - Sulu revenge letter

Sabahans should remain calm as the au thorities remain vigilant over public safety.

Home Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said the people should not be unduly worried over a letter pur portedly sent by Sulu militants threatening to launch an attack in Tambunan.

He said they should not believe in rumours which had been spreading after the letter was sent to Tambunan District Office recently.

“It is true that we have received the letter which carries the threat of terrorists from Sulu to invading Sabah. They say they will enter next month.

“I do not believe that it is a genuine letter from the terrorists and it is somewhat funny as no one would provide a date for them to come and cause violence. I consider it (the letter) as false,” he said after visiting several policemen being treated at Universiti Sains Malaysia Hospital in Kubang Kerian here.

Continue Reading..

Even so, said Zahid, police were investigating the letter to establish its origins.

In addition, he said, security personnel deployed under the Eastern Sabah Security Command were in a state of readi ness to face any possible threat.

“Our security personnel and equipment are at an optimum level to deal with any threat,” he said, adding that any outside movement heading towards the Sabah coast, especially from nearby islands, would be closely monitored.

He said Malaysia was cooperating with the Philipines coast guard and navy to assist in providing surveillance on such movements.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Latest Malaysia News