Sunday, June 2, 2013
Datuk Nadzim Johan (third from left) and other NGO representatives calling for an investigation into those behind the slanderous Facebook posting against the king at the Dang Wangi police headquarters in Kuala Lumpur yesterday.
Cops told to investigate slanderous remark against king
BINTULU: POLICE have been ordered to investigate the offensive Facebook posting directed at Yang di-Pertuan Agong Tuanku Abdul Halim Mu'adzam Shah's call on Malaysians to accept the results of the 13th General Election.
Home Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said he had directed the police to bring those who were responsible to justice.
"All Malaysians must respect the king.
"To say such things in social media is very disrespectful and those responsible must face the music," said Zahid at Bintulu Airport, here, yesterday.
In Kuala Lumpur, a group of non-governmental organisations (NGO) urged the authorities to take action against those who make slanderous remarks against the king and the country's constitutional monarchy system.
"Such people can affect the country's harmony. We must not allow them to make disrespectful comments towards the king," said Malaysian Muslim Consumers Association executive secretary Datuk Nadzim Johan yesterday.
He referred to an incident last year, where an American was punished for insulting the Thai king.
Lawyer Noor Hajran Mohd Noor, the group's adviser, said it was time for the authorities to enforce the law on those who committed such acts.
"We have all the tools. We just need enforcement.
"This behaviour is not acceptable and this attitude seems to be catching up on social networking sites."
Nadzim and the Young Malaysian Journalists Club president Dzulkarnain Taib were among 10 NGO representatives who went to the Dang Wangi police headquarters yesterday to lodge a report urging the police to investigate the individuals who made the slanderous remark on Facebook.
Kuala Lumpur deputy police chief Datuk Amar Singh said six such reports had been received.
In Senawang, Negri Sembilan Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan called for stern action to be taken for the "kurang ajar" (disrespectful) act.
He said this would not have happened if Malaysians were well-versed in the Federal Constitution, which recognises the constitutional monarchy in the country.
In Kuantan, Pahang branch of Suara Anak Muda 1Malaysia information chief Mohd Faiz Hashim said those responsible should come forward and apologise to the king and all Malaysians.