Sunday, June 23, 2013
All schools in Kuala Lumpur and Selangor will be closed tomorrow as the haze situation worsens at 5pm Sunday.
Natural Resources and Environment Minister Datuk Seri G Palanivel said second education minister Datuk Seri Idris Jusoh would take the necessary follow-up actions.
Palanivel said the haze situation had worsened as of 5pm Sunday and the schools have been ordered to be closed due to health reasons.
He advised parents to keep their children indoors and if they need to go out to use face masks.
The Johor Disaster Management and Relief Committee has imposed six immediate measures following the declaration of a haze emergency for Muar and Ledang.
Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamed Khaled Nordin, in his Facebook posting, said the steps were:
- Issuing closure orders on all offices whether government or private and other workplaces including factories, estates, construction sites and quarries.
- Ensure all schools are closed
- Restrict use of private vehicles
- Stop all land clearing and transfer of earth
- Ensure timely updates on the air quality situation (Air Pollutants Index) to the mass media
- Enforce ban on open burning
However, the closure order does not include:
- Shops selling food items and drinks, markets and supermarkets
- Clinic, pharmacies and medicine shops
- Essential services