Wednesday, June 26, 2013
Tony Pua has accused Tourism Minister Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz of "covering up" the Malacca state government's closure of Jonker Street.
The PJ Utara MP said that while Nazri had seemingly "appealed" to Malacca Chief Minister Datuk Idris Haron not to close down the popular tourist spot, he had also reached a "compromise' with Idris.
"Nazri claimed that the CM had ordered Jonker Street to be closed for four weeks to study the traffic flow.
"This is a compromise and it is unacceptable," Pua said.
He said that this was because idris himself had admitted the move was an act of retaliation against the non-Malay community in Malacca.
"I have with me a copy of the memo issued by the mayor of Malacca city council which instructed the full closure of the market, wih no mention of the so-called traffic study."
Idris had earlier said that the decision to reopen the roads was made after the state government received complaints of traffic congestion every weekend.
Some users had complained that it took four hours to reach Malacca city from the Ayer Keroh toll plaza.
Idris was also quoted by Utusan Malaysia as saying the state executive council did not order Jonker Walk, the popular weekend night market, to be closed but to open the roads previously closed to make way for it.
"My previous statement has been misinterpreted. The state executive council has never ordered the businesses along the road at Jonker Walk to be closed down.
“I just ordered the roads previously closed every Saturday and Sunday to be reopened to traffic to avoid congestion into the city," he told Utusan Malaysia yesterday.
However, according to a letter sent to the Jonker Walk committee last Thursday, it clearly stated that hawkers are not allowed to set up stalls on the roads or have equipment in the area. - June 26, 2013.