Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Tian Chua, Tamrin, Haris rearrested in renewed crackdown

Politicians Tamrin Ghafar(middle), Chua Tian Chang (left) and political activist Haris Ibrahim (right) were re-arrested today, four days after a magistrate rejected a police application for their remand under the Sedition Act 1948 and the Penal Code.

At least one other student activist was also detained as police widened their crackdown against anti-Barisan Nasional (BN) and opposition activists which started last week.

Haris's lawyer Gobind Singh Deo said tonight that the "suspects" were being questioned at the Dang Wangi police station.

According to other reports on Twitter, student activist Muhammad Safwan Anang has also been detained by police.
"They are now in the Dang Wangi district police headquarters. They have been rearrested under the Sedition Act.

"We don't really know much about the situation and we are going there now," Gobind told The Star Online after Haris and Tamrin had been detained. Speaking to The Malaysian Insider later Gobind said: "The police have obtained a warrant of arrest so now they are arrested. We are still short of details at the moment but we believe they are arrested for sedition. Pursuant to the warrant they should be brought to court as soon as possible which is tomorrow morning.

Continue Reading..

"We are still trying to get details as to where and what time will they be charged. I don't understand why they need to be detained overnight if they are to be charged. They can just be brought to court tomorrow but a warrant has been issued and we have to respect that".

On May 24, Tamrin, Haris and Tian Chua were freed after their initial detention by police.

Pakatan Rakyat (PR) had earlier described the arrests as part of a national crackdown on the federal opposition.

All three were believed to have been originally detained over their involvement in a forum on May 13 over the results of the just-concluded general election.

Last week, student activist Adam Adli Abdul Halim was charged with sedition for his involvement in the same forum where he was accused of rallying Malaysians to take to the streets to topple the BN government.

The 24-year-old pleaded not guilty and was released on RM5,000 bail with his trial set for a mention on July 2.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Latest Malaysia News