Saturday, May 18, 2013

Cops refute Guan Eng's inaction claim

Penang deputy police chief Datuk Abdul Rahim Jaafar says three men admitted to beating up a hawker in Jalan Perak

Probe completed and the case referred to DPP's office for further action

GEORGE TOWN: PENANG police yesterday refuted Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng's allegation that nothing was being done to bring the culprits who assaulted a hawker to justice.

State deputy police chief Datuk Abdul Rahim Jaafar said contrary to Lim's allegation, police had completed investigations into the case and submitted the papers to the deputy public prosecutor's office for further action.

He said police solved the case when the three men who had assaulted the 56-year-old hawker during the 13th General Election campaign in Jalan Perak here on April 16 surrendered.

Continue Reading..

"The trio admitted to beating up the victim," he said in response to a claim by Lim, who told a press conference on Thursday that police had not acted against the culprits although a report had been lodged.

Abdul Rahim said the three men turned themselves in at the Jelutong police station on Monday.

"The three general election campaign workers, aged between 20 and 30, had their statements recorded and were later released on police bail," Abdul Razak said after attending a promotion recognition ceremony for 78 police personnel at the Batu Uban marine police base here.

It was reported that the victim was assaulted by a group after he removed campaign materials which had been put up within his house compound in Lorong Perak at 3am just four days before nomination day.

The victim was badly beaten up, requiring about 100 stitches and was in a coma for several days.

Police have classified the case under Section 148 of the Penal Code which a maximum five years jail or fine or both.

In an unrelated case, a 51-year-old man collapsed after having a heated argument with two men outside the Juru Autocity in Seberang Prai Tengah on Thursday.

Neoh Eng Seong fell to the ground at a car park and died on the way to the Seberang Jaya Hospital in the 3pm incident.

It is believed that Neoh was assaulted prior to his death.

Abdul Rahim said police would await the post mortem report to ascertain the cause of death.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Latest Malaysia News