Monday, May 9, 2011

No escape for the big fish


Anglers of the Berita Harian GP Joran Carnival casting their rods at Tanjung Leman beach yesterday.Royal Malaysian Air Force technician Mohamad Saiful Azmi Hamzah showing the 15.22kg grouper hat he caught.

An ailing heart did not stop Mohd Ariffin Selamat from enjoying his favourite pastime -- fishing.

The 39-year-old shipping manager was glad that he took part in the Berita Harian GP Joran Carnival at Tanjung Leman beach here yesterday after winning RM20,000 for landing a prized catch. Ariffin said he had not been well for some time as he was still under treatment, but he decided to try his luck in the fishing competition.

Using a gelama fry as bait, he struggled with his catch and won first prize in the coastal category for catching a 12.11kg stingray.




"Catching the stingray was a miracle as I initially wondered if I could do it. It was tiring but worth it, and I am going to use the money to take my family back to Kuching to visit my mother," he said jubilantly.

For Royal Malaysian Air Force technician Mohamad Saiful Azmi Hamzah, 31, his third attempt in the contest paid off when he grabbed the RM20,000 top prize in the deep-sea category.

"I've taken part in this contest three times in a row and luck was on my side this time when I caught the 15.22kg grouper.


"I had to struggle for almost an hour to land the fish at a spot near Pulau Yu.

"I am not sure what to do with the money but I've already called my family in Shah Alam, Selangor, to tell them the good news," he said after accepting the prize from Mersing District Officer Abdul Rahman Dewam yesterday.

Other winners in the coastal category were Mohd Nordin Ibrahim, who won RM10,000 at second place, and Razmi Omar, who won RM4,000 for coming in third.


In the deep-sea category, Syed Mohd Shukri Syed Idris was the second place winner (RM10,000) while third place went to Mohd Hatta Abd Rahman (RM4,000).

Muhammad Hazwan Hamdin took home RM1,000 as special prize in the stingray category for landing a whopping 36.34kg catch.

There were 800 participants in the coastal category and 1,000 in the deep-sea category.


Photobucket
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Latest Malaysia News