Sunday, December 18, 2011
Utusan Malaysia today expressed confidence that Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim would be convicted of his sodomy charge, but predicted that public unrest would follow the trial decision.
The Umno daily’s columnist, writing under the pseudonym of Awang Selamat, charged that Anwar was the first Opposition leader in the world to be associated with so many “moral and ethical” scandals.
In the weekend edition of Utusan, Mingguan Malaysia, Awang claimed to be privy to information of a PKR-led strategy once Anwar is convicted on January 9.
Awang said that Anwar would resort to “anything to save himself”, and that he would not stand idly by and accept the court’s decision, knowing that it will be the “most significant moment in his life and political career.”
“There is a possibility of a unexpected plan. We will await the surprise,” the Utusan columnist said.
“As expected, Anwar will be found guilty after which the Angkatan Muda Keadilan (PKR youth) will launch their free Anwar 901 campaign on Twitter.
“There are talks of other plans, such as street demonstrations, as seen in his first sodomy trial. We have not yet even touched on the words of PKR deputy president Azmin Ali, who wants to break down prison walls if his boss is jailed,” said Awang.
The columnist pointed out that throughout the course of his second sodomy trial, Anwar had refused to take a “sumpah laknat” (oath) in a mosque to prove his innocence while his accuser, Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan, had done so.
“He also shocked everyone by giving a statement from the dock, without swearing under oath in court. This has ‘saved’ him from being interrogated by the prosecution,” said Awang.
Trial judge Datuk Mohd Zabidin Mohd Diah will deliver a decision on Anwar’s sodomy charge next month, after last week’s conclusion of the high-profile trial which began in February 2010.
Anwar has vehemently denied sodomising his former aide, saying that the charges are part of an elaborate ploy to end his political career.