Tuesday, July 24, 2012
NO RATIONING: Water woes causing anxiety among consumers, says DPM
Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin speaking to the press after chairing the special cabinet committee meeting to tackle the imminent water crisis in the Klang Valley yesterday. at the Energy, Green Technology and Water Ministry.
A cabinet committee dealing with the imminent water crisis in the Klang Valley said yesterday the delayed Langat 2 water treatment plant project must go ahead as the water supply situation is critical and causing anxiety among consumers.
Also, water concessionaire Syabas has been asked to come up with a contingency plan as the water treatment plants in Sungai Langat, Sungai batu, Sungai Semenyih, Sungai Selangor and bukit tampoi were operating beyond their capacity and were at a risk of breaking
The committee’s meeting, chaired by Deputy Prime Minister tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, also decided that there was no need for water rationing in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya. On Langat 2, Muhyiddin said the attorney-
general had been asked to look at legal provisions to start the project should the Selangor government disagree with the plan to build it.
“Ideally, we are looking to start the project this year so that it can be completed by 2015.” He said the Selangor government should give the go-ahead as soon as possible so that construction could begin.
The government would prepare, in a month’s time, the offer to several companies to build the plant.
Muhyiddin said: “We want to make sure there will be companies ready to start work as soon as the Selangor government gives permission and for the project to be completed in 3½ years.”
He said the committee decided that Langat 2 was the only solution to the water crisis, which was expected to hit Selangor, Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya by 2014.
"Today, the committee discussed and felt that the Langat 2 project must be continued."
The meeting at the Energy, Green Technology and Water Ministry was attended by its minister, Datuk Seri Peter Chin Fah Kui, and Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Idris Jala.
As for the Selangor government's intentions to take over Syabas' operations, Muhyiddin said the proposal could not be considered as Selangor had failed to comply with the concession agreement, including allowing a water tariff hike.
"We will seek the advice of the attorney-general, who will have the final say."
He said one of the issues standing in the way of the takeover was the state government's failure to compensate Syabas after refusing a scheduled increase in the water tariff.
"The matter is pending in court as Syabas is suing Selangor."
On the situation on the ground, he said there had been complaints of water disruptions in several parts of the city and Selangor. Five areas, with 50,000 accounts with Syabas, have unsatisfactory water supply.
Syabas has been instructed to ensure enough water supply to all areas, including Pandan Indah, Pandan Perdana, Balakong, Kapar and Hulu Langat.