Sunday, April 24, 2011

Armless swimmer beats all odds to finish race

ARMED WITH COURAGE... Zhariff Afandi, 26, proved that being bornwithout arms is no obstacle in the Kapas-Marang International Swimathon yesterday.

It was a day to remember for Zhariff Afandi, who swam a distance of 6.5km from Pulau Kapas to Kelulut Beach in the 11th edition of the Kapas-Marang International Swimathon here yesterday.

It took him two hours, 46 minutes and 47 seconds to finish 52nd in the field of 265 swimmers, but the 26-year-old businessman from Petaling Jaya, Selangor, was more than delighted with his debut accomplishment.

Finishing the race was no mean feat as the graduate of Griffith University in Gold Coast, Australia, was born without both arms and he had to do it the hard way.


"I was realistic enough to know that I had no chance of winning the race, but I promised myself that I would complete the race.



"During the race, there were times when I thought I could not go on but I knew I could not live with myself if I gave up without a fight," said the eldest of three siblings who is no stranger to outdoor sports.

He is also an avid runner and has taken part in several half-marathons, full marathons and jungle trail running competitions.


"I fell in love with jungle trail running when I entered the Genting Highlands competition last year. Now, I am smitten by the Kapas-Marang swimathon.

"I am fine with my handicap but the setback about swimming without arms, as I found out just now, was that I could not do much when a small jellyfish stung me on the nose," he said with a grin.

The other handicapped swimmer in the swimathon was Mohd Subki Ariffin, 30, who took two hours and 11 minutes to finish the race in 28th position.


The Kuala Terengganu-born, who lost his left arm in a motorcycle crash almost 11 years ago, said the time was his best in his four swimathon attempts.

"It took me more than three hours to complete the race four years ago and looks like I am getting better as I get older. Who knows, one of these days, I might be good enough to win the race," said the father of one, who works at the Welfare Department in Kuala Lumpur.

The overall title in the men's category went to Hong Kong's Jason Hsieh, who clocked one hour, 26 minutes and six seconds to finish six minutes and eight seconds ahead of Briton Andrew Tebbutt.

National swimmer Lee Hsiu Eik finished third in one hour, 33 minutes and 30 seconds.

Lai Mei Juan of Johor, who won the women's overall title two years ago, emerged winner again after clocking one hour, 33 minutes and 38 seconds. The 23-year-old student of Universiti Sains Malaysia in Penang beat fellow national swimmers Neo Hseng Zjue and Lim Yam Poh who came in second and third respectively.

All the winners received their prizes from state Tourism, Arts, Culture and Heritage Committee chairman Datuk Abdul Rahin Said.





Photobucket
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Latest Malaysia News