Sunday, November 27, 2011

Restaurant blast at Maju Junction - Gas leak in kitchen believed to have caused explosion on Saturday night

AN explosion at Maju Junction Mall damaged a restaurant and an adjoining outlet on Saturday night.

No one was injured in the 11pm explosion, which occurred after the mall had closed.

The explosion at Noodle Station restaurant on the ground floor of the mall, which is in Jalan Sultan Ismail, was believed to have been caused by a gas leak.

This is the second time a gas leak and explosion had caused damage to a food outlet in a mall.

On Sept 28, a gas explosion destroyed a restaurant at Empire Shopping Gallery in Subang Jaya, injuring four people.

City Fire Department assistant director Azizan Ismail said a gas leak in the restaurant's kitchen probably caused the blast.

He said the department's forensic team was investigating the blast.

The department dispatched two fire trucks from the Chow Kit Fire and Rescue Department to the mall when it got a call on Saturday.

Azizan said the explosion caused heavy damage to the glass doors and ceiling of the restaurant. Most of the wall on the Starbucks outlet next to it collapsed.

"The hazardous material team turned off all gas valves, including the main valve, at the back of the mall."

The Energy Commission was also investigating the explosion.

Maju Junction Mall general manager Albert Khoo said there were no injuries.

"Nothing like this has ever happened since the mall's opening in 2002."

He said the mall would be open today, except for the food and beverage section.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Latest Malaysia News