Friday, April 13, 2012
File pix: Kelantan State, Prince Tengku Muhammad Fakhry Petra (centre) filed a RM 50 million defamation suit against the Malay Mail and 3 others at the Kuala Lumpur Hight Court, Jalan Duta.
The defamation suit by Kelantan prince Tengku Muhammad Fakhry Petra against The Malay Mail and two others over a report relating to the attempted murder of the Kelantan palace guard, two years ago, has been settled.
Tengku Muhammad Fakhry's lawyer A. S. Dhaliwal, told reporters that High Court Judge Datin Zabariah Mohd Yusof recorded a consent judgment in chambers after both parties had reached the settlement.
He however said the amount of settlement cannot be disclosed.
Dhaliwal also said The Malay Mail has to publish a written apology in Berita Harian and New Straits Times within seven days.
On Nov 11, last year, Tengku Muhammad Fakhry filed the suit naming The Malay Mail Sdn Bhd as first defendant and publisher The New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd, chief editor Yushaimi Maulud Yahya and reporter Marhalim Abbas as the second, third and fourth defendants respectively.
In his statement of claim, the prince alleged that the defendants were responsible for posting an article in The Malay Mail Online News Portal on May 5, 2010, which jeopardised his reputation, position and career. Apart from seeking damages, the prince was also seeking a published apology, an injunction to prevent the repetition of the article, exemplary damages and other costs deemed fit by the court. -